Smart homeowners know the importance of cleaning their gutters once in a while. Some, dread the once or twice-a-year cleaning, while others simply hire someone to do it. No matter who does it – cleaning your gutters is essential to keeping water flowing off your roof, down your downspouts, and away from your home’s foundation. For those that ignore this important activity, they can find the foundation repair costs drastically exceed what it would have taken to address their gutter issues. Below we provide you with some advice that is worth the read.
How Often Should You Clean Your Gutters?
You should clean your gutters a minimum of annually. We recommend doing it twice a year, especially if you have lots of trees and foliage nearby. If you keep them clean, then the gutters should last 15 to 20 years.
Why Does Cleaning Your Gutters Matter?
There are many frustrating consequences that arise from not cleaning your gutters often enough.
- Leaks – When debris gets stuck in the gutters, it creates leaks and eventually overflows in different areas causing water to get down by the foundation
- Mold & Algae – We have enough trouble with humidity in Mid-Missouri, but when the rainy season arrives, you don’t want to add to the problem with clogged gutters. That becomes a breeding ground for toxic mold and other unwanted fungi.
- Roof Problems – Clogged gutters can overflow in the summer, but can also cause issues in the winter. When the snow melts and can’t get away from the home and then refreezes it can cause ice damming. This is a problem where on low slope roofs water freezes and refreezes backing up the roof and working in under the shingles causing leaks as it thaws.
- More Pests – The main things that get stuck in your gutters are leaves, pine needles, and twigs, which all make great homes for bugs. Cleaning the gutters periodically helps keep water flowing out of your gutters and thus not creating standing water for a pest breeding ground.
Gutter Covers & Gutter Guards
Those are some of the big reasons for cleaning often. Besides that, you might consider installing gutter covers or gutter guards. On houses with a lot of foliage nearby, these are a must-have. There are several different kinds and it is important to select the gutter guard that best fits your need and the slope of the roof.
When to Clean Your Gutters
How do you know if it’s time to replace your gutters?
- You notice them sagging or detaching from the house.
- Spots that leak or overflow.
- You notice small cracks and splits.
- There’s a constant problem with pools of water, mold, mildew, or other drainage issues
You never want to let these problems persist too long. CoMo Premium Exteriors can inspect the situation and assess whether you need new gutters.
Cleaning Your Gutters: Call CoMo Premium Exteriors for Roofing, Gutters, Siding, & Other Services
While we don’t do gutter cleaning ourselves, we can put you in contact with a reliable cleaning company. You don’t have to do it yourself, especially if you dread getting onto a ladder. Whatever you do, always play it safe, but make sure you don’t go too long without cleaning the gutters.
Now that you know the importance of cleaning your gutters, don’t forget to contact us the next time you have questions about home exterior maintenance.